Final Assembly
page 3 (2011)

Page 1 - The Cub Project
Page 2 - Fabric
Page 3 - Firewall Forward
Page 4 - Firewall Forward 2
Page 5 - O-320 Overhaul
Page 6 - Final Assembly (2010)
Page 7 - Final Assembly (2011 page 2)
Page 9 - Completed Aircraft
Page 10 - Later Updates and Modifications


Feb 18, 2011 - Fitting up the wind screen.  The top latches into a slot in the skylight, so the skylight has to
be installed first.


Skylight in place ready for wind screen install.


Skylight, windscreen, and doors now installed.


Feb 19, 2011 - I installed the wind screen, changed the mounting on the left and right doors and installed
them.  Also installed the door, and the rear windows, as well as the engine mount.  I still need to install the
mounting trim on the left side windows to complete the installation of the glass.


Feb 19, 2010 - I also installed the primer lines and the starter relay.  The electric system is now hooked up
and live.


Feb 20-21, 2011 - Fabricated the rest of the window mounting hardware, painted and clecod into place.


Left side glass finished.


Right side glass finished.


It was a nice day for February, so after finishing the glass, I rolled the Cub outside for pictures, and for an
opportunity to clean up the hangar a bit.




February 23, 2011 - I needed to make a paper model to get the windshield fairing right.


Then I promptly cut in the wrong place and ruined the pricy fairing I had bought from Wag Aero.


This is the replacement fairing I fabricated.


Feb 26, 2011 - I completed construction of the wing root fairings.


Feb 27, 2011 - Fabricated the tail fairings.


I also acid etched and primed the fairings.  


March 2, 2011 - Mounted the finished tail fairings.  The extra holes in the left front fairing will be used to mount
the data plate.


March 3, 2011 - Mounted the finished wing root fairings.






March 6, 2011 - I spent the last two days at the antique fly in at Casa Grande, AZ, but did manage to get
the wing tips mounted on the Cub when I got home today.  It is also back in the big hangar to make space
for me to build the engine in the small hangar over the next few weeks.  I looked at lots of Cubs in Casa Grande
and came away with a number of ideas that should help.




March 11, 2011 - the big view.  My KR is in the foreground and the Cub in the background.  This is pretty much
it other than mounting the lights to the wing tips, then paint on the lightening bolts, and the registration numbers.
Oh yes, and then there's the engine, to be continued on the firewall forward and engine overhaul pages.


March 19 & 20, 2011 - I stuck on this experimental graphic that was left over from my KR.  The following
photos are the masking, painting and unveiling of the trim and registration numbers on the fuselage and wing
tips.



















March 21, 2011 - Installed wing tips on the air frame.  Other than a few very minor details, the airframe is
now completed.


The rest of the updates should be going into the Firewall Forward, the Engine Overhaul and completed Plane
Web Pages.

Page 1 - The Cub Project
Page 2 - Fabric
Page 3 - Firewall Forward
Page 4 - Firewall Forward 2
Page 5 - O-320 Overhaul
Page 6 - Final Assembly (2010)
Page 7 - Final Assembly (2011 page 2)
Page 9 - Completed Aircraft
Page 10 - Later Updates and Modifications