O-200 Engine #2
a.k.a. Mike's Engine

This engine meets all specs for 0 SMOH with the crankshaft ground -.020 undersized with the following exceptions.  The crank shaft had some minor corrosion in the front side of the flange.  The corrosion was dressed out with a depth of .004 (see flange pictures towards bottom of web page).

Jeff Scott  jscott.planes "at" gmail.com

Crank shaft mounted to stand.  -.020 crank shaft, magnafluxed, checked for true, polished and balanced.

Crank gear cluster installed torqued and safety wired.

Corrosion was dressed out next to the inside of the flange.  The depth of the cut measures .004, which is within
the standards for dressing the flange.  

Engine comes complete with new cylinder base nuts, valve covers, push rods, new intake tubes, intake tube rubber
bushings, intake spyder, wet vacuum pump if desired and all gaskets required for complete assembly.  I have
one rebuildable set of cylinders available and a few accessories.

Re-ground cam followers lubricated and installed in case halves.

Case halves assembled and torqued, cam gear installed, bolts properly torqued and safety wired.

January 8, 2011 - After assembling the lower end of this engine, I became uncomfortable with the high time
case that had gone through so much abuse.  Based on the DIVCO work order stamps on the case, I estimated
that the case had 7 - 8000 hours, plus many years of abuse at an A&P school.where many studs were stripped,
and helicoils inserted incorrectly, then stripped again.  I finally bought another case, so moved everything into
the new case. In the picture above, the old case halves are on the right, and the new case halves on the left.

NOTE:  I do not use the Permatex Ultra in this application anymore.  I curently use Hylomar sealant.  

New case halves mated together with new case bolt kit.  Toilet paper tubes are used to keep the rods from
damaging the beveled cylinder seal surface.

Oil pump was well lubricated with Lubriplate assembly lube, then assembled and safety wired.

Gear clusters get a good coating of assembly lube to protect them.  Starter pinion gear support bearing was
removed, so this engine will require either the B&C or Sky-Tec light weight starter.  The Prestolite and Delco
starters can not be used.

Oil suction tube installed and safetied.  Even the suction tube gets a very thin coating of assembly lube to
protect it from rust until this engine gets put to work.

Oil sump installed. Oil screen and pressure relief valve installed and safetied.  The oil pressure relief also got
a new relief spring.  All new nuts and washers on the accessory case ready for installation of accessories.
The new case just got a fresh coat of "Continental Gold" paint.  I have old cylinders that I slip over the cylinder
mounts to avoid getting overspray into the cylinder seats.  Push rod tube stubs are installed and ready for
installation of cylinders.

Painted engine case showing data plate.

The pistons are back from the machinist after balancing.  I've got the compression rings on the pistons, and
installed the rocker arms and rocker shafts.  Sharp readers will notice a single bolt on the top of the center
rocker boss that isn't normally there.  That's new on the Continental cylinders as they now run a bolt through
the rocker shaft to pin it in place rather than allowing it to float back and forth between the sides of the rocker

I also got the Eisemann Mags out in re-installed the drive gears.  I had previously shipped these mags to another
builder only to find that they turned the wrong direction for his application.  Upon examination, I found that one
of the spark plug leads had been kinked in shipping, so will have to be replaced.  Aircraft Spruce quoted a new
lead from ACS products with a 30 day lead time or an obscene fee to expedite for a single replacement lead.  I
was able to purchase a replacement from Aero-Lite through Varga Enterprises for a reasonable price with no
extra charge for a quick turn around as that is their NORMAL service.

1/11/2011 - Cylinder #4 mounted.  Cylinders 2 and 3 need to be mounted as a pair since the center
through bolts hold down part of the base on both cylinders.  They are on tap for tomorrow night.

1/12/2011 - I got the rest of the cylinders mounted this evening.  They are snugged down, but still need to
be properly torqued.  I'll do that tomorrow night.

1/13/2011 - The cylinders and cases are all properly torqued now and the valve covers are now installed using
all new hardward and silicone gaskets.

From the bottom side, you can see that I have the intake stubs mounted and the blank plate installled where
the vacuum pump drive would mount.

1/16/2011 - I installed the spider and intake tubes.

Also mounted and timed the Eisemann mags.

This lead off the left mag was damaged when I had this mag shipped..  The new lead is from Aerolite, but
unfortuantely, they sent me a Scintilla lead rather than an Eisemann lead.  Both types of mags are a bit rare,
so it's not surprising when the techs make up the wrong leads.  This isn't the first time I've run into this.

I fabricated this vacuum pump mount cover for the engine.

Also the Alternator mount cover.

And the cover for the starter mounting pad.  These covers were cut out on the band saw from aluminum plate
then filed to a finish on the edges.  The surfaces were cleaned with a wire wheel in my die grinder, tjhen painted
Continental Gold.

The engine is now completed with the exception of the one magneto lead, and me starting a new log.